Are you looking for an opportunity to make a real difference in your next role?
At Basis, our purpose is to radically accelerate the clean-energy revolution - starting with smarter, safer, and more efficient homes. We’re focused on improving experiences for people through the application of technology, data, and a deep understanding of human behaviour.
Why? As a society, we need to decarbonise and accelerate the transition to alternative energy sources. Existing solutions are expensive and disparate, with limited functionality.
Basis is driven by purpose, real innovation, and ambition. We have a talented team spread across New Zealand, with a creative space by the beach in Takapuna, and a Design Lab in Christchurch where our physical products come to life. We're more than happy to take on someone who wants to work remotely from a different location across New Zealand too, or wants to relocate.
We recently closed our Series A capital raise, so we're well-funded and ready to grow. Our team is smart, curious and has some big goals - so if you’re interested in joining a fast-growing and startup that is design-led and puts people at its core, then we’d love to hear from you!
We're also currently in stealth mode, so check out our website and we'll share more with you during the recruitment process 😁
We're looking to grow our Embedded Software Team. You'll be helping us to extend our capabilities with your excellent software skills and ownership. We have an existing team, systems outlines, concepts, functional prototypes, test setups, and scripts - and we need to resolve these to deliver a real product to market.
To be clear - you will not be polishing some ancient code or tinkering around the edges - this is a jump-in boots-and-all opportunity. This is a highly complex distributed IOT system - interfacing cloud connected systems containing complex processing, configuration, and control. If this sounds exciting to you, then keep reading.
Some of the things that you might be involved in include:
Prototyping: Assisting our systems team with rapid prototyping of new concepts to realise and validate IP blocks.
Real-time SW: Implementing real-time sensor and communication integrations, complex analytic algorithms, and supervisory systems.
Distributed Systems: Implementing distributed multi-processor systems and communications strategies.
IOT: Implementing the cloud connectivity, security protocols, authentication and data management of an IOT system.
Safe Software: Implementing safe regulatory-compliant software - and all that entails to achieve this. Maintaining security practices suitable for a modern IoT system.
Testing: Setting up and maintaining software test frameworks including continuous integration systems.
Code review: reviewing the code written by Basis peers to ensure quality, collaboration and conformance.
Please note: this role is hybrid between working from home and office (no set in office days) and we would prefer the successful candidate to be located in Auckland or Christchurch.
We think you’ll be a fit for this role if you possess the following skills or experience:
- At least 4 years experience developing embedded software in either C or C++
- A tertiary qualification in software development
- Experience writing low level embedded software
- Experience writing peripheral drivers for microcontrollers
- An understanding of the wider system beyond software, and an ability to articulate the impact of systems decisions on software and vice versa
Some nice to haves include (you do not need to have all of these to be considered, but please highlight this experience in your application):
- Experience with real time operating systems such as FreeRTOS or Zephyr OS
- A background in safety critical software development, or familiarity in working with robust engineering practices and certifiable software
- Experience in building and configuring software development systems, such as CI pipelines
- Experience programming in Python, digital signal processing, software security and embedded linux
- Experience working with Modbus, BLE, Ethernet, WiFi, TCP/IP, MQTT, AWS, LwM2M, CoAP or LTE-M
Research shows that while men apply for jobs when they meet ~ 60% of the job criteria, women and other marginalised groups tend to apply only when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but are not sure you check every box, we still want to hear from you 🙌
- A competitive salary and employee share scheme (ESOP)
- A remote-first culture - work from home or come into the office, it's totally up to you
- Unlimited annual leave so that you can take the time that you need to re-energise
- Tools of trade, including laptop and headphones, and we also pay your phone bill!
- Flexible hours - we focus on effort and outcomes, so adjust your hours around your children, hobbies, or other commitments
- A schedule of fun team events throughout the year (ziplining, knife throwing, lawn games, what's next?)
- Office dogs
- Access to Clearhead, our well-being programme which gives you 5x free sessions with a psychologist per year
- A $200 one-off payment towards your home workstation
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion: Pride Committee, DEIB Committee, EEO Policy and well-being strategy!
- Parental leave policy that tops up wages to 100% for the primary caregiver for up to 22 weeks (conditions apply)
- The opportunity to learn and develop from some of the best and brightest minds in the industry!
We’d love to hear from you! No need to submit a cover letter - just click 'apply' to answer a few short questions of ours (we find this gives us more insight) and attach your CV.
If you have any questions about the role, fire them over to Steph at firstname.lastname@example.org